Someone a lot smarter than me said this:

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Friday, July 17, 2009

That Explains It.

Well my friends I was as shocked as all of you were when Tiger The Great missed the cut at the British Open. As Supreme High Chancellor of all things sport I was in attendance at Turnberry to watch the first couple of rounds of this golfing major and I couldn't believe the monumental meltdown I was witnessing.

When round two finally concluded and it was official that Tiger had missed the cut I was on my way to order the R&A officials to adjust the cut line so that the greatest golfer ever could continue playing. As I was approaching their offices I happened to run into Tiger and I had to ask him, "What happened?" Tiger proceeded to tell me that he had intentionally missed the cut in order to give fellow golfing great, Tom Watson, a chance at winning one last major. If you remember Tom started out having a pretty rough day on the front nine and by the time he was making the turn it was looking like if he continued playing that way he would miss the cut. Tiger had began his round and was holding back around E or +1 waiting to see if Tom would get his game back together. And sure enough Tom started turning things around on the back nine and had a fine second round.

So as Tiger explained it to me he decided the best way to give Tom the stage all to himself this weekend was for him to miss the cut. Tiger asked me not to tell this to anyone but I thought that such a sporting gesture on his part warranted letting people know. I dare say you'd never find another professional athlete that would intentionally DQ himself in order to give an aging colleague one final chance at victory before the competitive flame is completely extinguished.

So kudos to Tiger for making such a selfless sacrifice in order to give Tom Watson sole posession of the spotlight this weekend. Good luck Tom. Don't let Tiger's sacrifice be in vain.

1 comment: