Someone a lot smarter than me said this:

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Monday, July 6, 2009

All Hail Tiger The Great.

I really enjoy the game of golf. Watching it as well as playing it. The problem with playing it is I really suck at it. That's why I'm so fascinated by how effortless the pros make it look. One pro in particular, Eldrick "Tiger" Woods.

I can testify first hand as to how hard it is to hit that little white ball with a long stick and make said ball go where you want it to go. It is probably the most difficult activity I've ever participated in. And it's so frustrating when that little white ball doesn't cooperate that it would even challenge the patience of a saint. So for Tiger to be able to do this as good as he does it and as consistently as he does it I'm ready to proclaim him the greatest golfer of all time at the ripe old age of 33. I've compiled a few stats to back up my proclamation even though I am the reigning Sports Czar and I don't have to explain my decrees to any mortal being.

CAREER PGA TOUR WINS
1. Sam Snead (82) 2. Jack Nicklaus (73) 3. Tiger Woods (68) 4. Ben Hogan (64) 5. Arnold Palmer (62) 6. Byron Nelson (52) 7. Billy Casper (51) 8. Walter Hagen (44) 9. Cary Middlecoff (40) 10. Gene Sarazen (39)
As I'm sure you will notice Tiger is the only player in the top ten that is still playing. The next closest active player is Phil Mickelson with 36 wins. And keep in mind Tiger is only 33 years old and has only been playing professionally since 1996! While Phil is already 39 and turned pro in 1992.

CAREER PROFESSIONAL MAJOR WINS
1. Jack Nicklaus (18) 2. Tiger Woods (14) 3. Walter Hagen (11) T4. Ben Hogan (9) T4. Gary Player (9) 6. Tom Watson (8) Five others tied with seven majors each.
This is probably the most important stat when figuring a golfer's greatness. Again, Tiger is the only active player with more than three major victories. All 14 of Tiger's wins came before the age of 33. Jack won his last major in 1986 at the age of 46.

YEARLY MONEY LEADERS
Between 1996 & 2008 Tiger has been the leading money winner eight out of thirteen seasons! Vijay Singh three times, David Duval & Tom Lehman once each. And just recently I read where Tiger's career earnings (wins, endorsements, etc) are about to top the $1 Billion mark. That's a 1 followed by nine zeroes! Maybe President Obama should hit Tiger up for some bail-out money.

These are just some of the most glaring stats I've pointed out. Tiger is the leader (or close to it) in several other PGA Tour statistical categories. But to me it's the over whelming domination of his peers in these three categories that has prompted me, Czar Skeeter I - Imperial Grand Commissioner of All Things Sport, to hereby proclaim Eldrick "Tiger" Woods the greatest golfer in the history of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Ok...I am not much of a blog commenter, and I agree that Eldrick is the best to ever play the game. However, let's continue to give Jack his due, as he won 18 majors with a ball that when measured a number of years ago turns out wasn't even perfectly round! I am a fan of Eldrick's greatness, but I am very ready for a true contender to push him. I've been a Phil apologist for longer than I remember (thank God he finally put a few majors under his belt), and he is my personal favorite, but I am genuinely pulling for Anthony Kim, Rory McIlroy and even Danny Lee to make a run at "The One." --Respectfully Submitted, RW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not taking anything away from Jack. He was true greatness. But barring any catastrophies Tiger will probably blow away Jack's majors record. I'd like to see someone give Tiger some true competition too. But after 13 years all of the contenders have turned out to be pretenders. The Czar appreciates your comments.

    ReplyDelete